This recipe is another great way to enjoy protein-filled quinoa. Winter squash combined with celery, onion and parsley makes a healthy and comforting side dish.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 95 calories, 1g fat, 19g carbohydrate, 2.5g fiber, and 4g protein.
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 2 cups diced squash, butternut or any other fall or winter squash
- . 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- . 1 Tablespoon brown rice syrup
- . dash of freshly ground sea salt
- . zest and juice from 1 lemon
- . 2 cups filtered water
- . 1 cup quinoa
- . 4 sprigs of parsley, finely minced
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Place the onions, celery, carrots and squash in a large bowl.
- Mix in the oil and syrup, then sprinkle the salt and lemon zest. Mix until well combined and then place on a shallow baking dish.
- Cover the dish and bake for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes remove cover and cook for another 15 minutes.
- While the vegetables are in the oven, put the quinoa and water in a saucepan, cover and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Cook for about 25 minutes over low heat, until the water is absorbed.
- Combine the vegetables and cooked quinoa together with the lemon juice and parsley. Serve warm or chilled.