The seated row is an exercise designed to strenghten the upper back muscles
The Seated Row is probebly one of the best exercises to train the back muscles. The Machine version is the easiest one to maintain good form due to it’s support against the chest. However there are many different variations. For example, with a Cable Machine or with an elastic band (for when you want to do the exercise at home).
The key to performing a proper movement is to keep the keep a straight back while pulling your elbows back.
How to do it
– Sit and grasp handles.
– Place feet on footrests with knees bent.
– Pull handles slowly towards your torso.
– Try to squeeze your shoulders blades together as you pull your elbows back
– Keep your shoulders low at all times
– Keep feet on footrests and hands on handles at all times.
– Slowly return to the start position.
- Your back must remain straight at all times and your torso should be kept still throughout the entire set.
- Don’t let your shoulders hunch over when your arms are extended.
- Use the back muscles to move the weight – push yur chest up and don’t use momentum to swing the weight back.
- Pausing and squeezing at the back of the movement for a 1-2 count will increase intensity and results.