The Side Raise is an exercise designed to strengthen the shoulders
The side raises (also known as lateral raises) is great exercise to give your shoulders more definition. There are very few exercises that work the lateral delts as much as the side raises. An added bonus is that by making the shoulders look wider it will make the hips and waist look smaller.
How to do it
- Stand up tall with your shoulder blades pulled together, holding one dumbbell in each hand.
- Rotate your forearms until your palms are facing the side of your hips
- Raise your arms out to your sides until they reach shoulder-height.
- Hold for one to two seconds, then slowly lower back down.
- Your back must remain straight at all times and your torso should be kept still throughout the entire set.
- Don’t let the dumbbells reach higher than your shoulders
- You pink should be higher than your thumb, so that the dumbbells are slightly tilted forwards
- Make sure you aren’t lifting your shoulder up during the movement, your neck should be kept long at all times