Straight Arm Pull Down
The Straight Arm Pull Down is an exercise designed to Strengthen the back muscles
The Straight arm pull down is a great exercise to strengthen the upper back and rotator cuff muscles. this makes it a great exercise to train for posture as it essentially forces your to correct your posture against resistance.
It is for this reason that it is crucial you never round your back or shoulders during this exercise
How to do it
- You will start by grabbing the wide bar from the top pulley of a pulldown machine with your palms down.
- Step backwards two feet or so and stick your butt back
- Bend your torso forward at the waist by around 30-degrees with your arms fully extended in front of you and a slight bend at the elbows.
- Once your arms are fully extended and your torso is slightly bent at the waist, tighten the lats by pushing the shoulder blades down and together
- While keeping the arms straight, pull the bar down by contracting the lats until your hands are next to the side of the thighs. Breathe out as you perform this step.
- While keeping the arms straight, go back to the starting position while breathing in.
- Your back must remain straight at all times and your torso should be kept still throughout the entire set.
- Don’t let your shoulders hunch over when your arms are extended.
- Use the back muscles to move the weight – push yur chest up and don’t use momentum to swing the weight back.
- Pausing and squeezing at the back of the movement for a 1-2 count will increase intensity and results.